Skip to content

Sketches from Italy

May 22, 2013

italy_title

italy_01.jpeg

italy_02.jpeg

italy_03.jpeg

I’ve arrived! Nunzio the driver is waiting for me at the airport.

italy_04.jpeg

italy_05.jpeg

italy_07

italy_08.jpeg

This guy is something of a local celebrity, having been in an indie movie about Roman Slackers
or something.

italy_10.jpeg

italy_061

italy_09a

italy_095

italy_11.jpeg

italy_43.jpeg

The Isle of Ischia. I stayed on the West coast at Forio.  You could probably stay anywhere
and just hop around to the other towns on the bus.

italy_12.jpeg

italy_40.jpeg

italy_41.jpeg

italy_13.jpeg

Some notes and suggestions from the patrons of Pietratorcia.

italy_14.jpeg

195

italy_21.jpeg

italy_22.jpeg

italy_256.jpeg

italy_23.jpeg

italy_24.jpeg

Great B&B close to the ferry in Forio. Very convenient location.

italy_265.jpeg

italy_28.jpeg

italy_27.jpeg

italy_35.jpeg

italy_36.jpeg

The nice, simple, convinient  B&B where I stayed in Rome.

italy_29.jpeg

italy_31.jpeg

italy_38.jpeg

italy_42.jpeg

italy_285

italy_39.jpeg

italy_30.jpeg

italy_37.jpeg

Segrio from Mordi & Vai Gastronomia “Romanesca”

italy_065.jpeg

italy_325.jpeg

italy_32.jpeg

italy_335.jpeg

italy_33.jpeg

italy345

italy_34.jpeg

This conductor accused us of improperly validating our tickets. He called the police,
who simply scoffed at the conductor.

italy_44.jpeg

Ahh, time to head back. What a trip!

If you’re thinking of visiting Rome, please check out Rome Like A Local, a great way to discover the hidden gems in Rome!

cards

cards2

exoff

tb

26 Comments leave one →
  1. Colleen Bransfield permalink
    May 22, 2013 8:10 am

BRAVO!!!!

2. Maji permalink
    May 22, 2013 8:22 am

You capture so much in each drawing. I LOVE every sketch, detail & moment shared!

3. Craig Peterson permalink
    May 22, 2013 8:53 am

hope to visit some day, great work.

4. Vincenzo & Mena permalink
    May 22, 2013 9:10 am

Filomena (Mena) & Vincenzo
    Bravo, i tuoi sketches sono bellissimi, complimenti! ….niente su “Cesare al Casaletto”?

5. Sandy Christensen permalink
    May 22, 2013 9:32 am

Buennissimo…your next venture; J. Petterman-esque travel guide? I’d buy one in a snap. Really awesome.

6. May 22, 2013 11:41 am

Perfecto….what a great set of sketches…wonderful memories!!!

7. tracy kramer permalink
    May 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Magnifico! Your sketches are exciting — thanks for the colorful tour of Italy!

8. Soraj permalink
    May 24, 2013 9:13 am

Another awesome set, Dan. Makes me want to travel again!

9. Michael Ortenzi permalink
    May 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Recently Discovered Tom Bihn Bags and your sketch caught my eye … Great Sketch perspectives of Enjoying the little things in Life … Was In Tuscany Three Years back … absolutely wonderful

• May 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks, Michael! Aren’t their bags great? Fun to mix and match to see what combo works best. Haven’t been to Tuscany yet! Next time!

10. Antony M permalink
    May 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Truly enjoyed all this… we just returned — three days ago — from a week on Ischia at a chamber music workshop (Covo dei Borboni, above Lacco Ameno; a weekend in Naples, two days in Rome, a week in Le Marche, Firenze, and home from Milano. Your sketches capture those days better than my 800+ photos — esp. the hot water in the ocean at Sorgeto — sort of a local “secret” … as others have written, complimenti!!

• May 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Thank you, Antony! Sounds like you had a great trip as well! Ischia was amazing, I would go again…if only to hang out at Sorgeto again! Undiscovered indeed…didn’t run into a single fellow American there! :-)

11. Sherry Neal permalink
    May 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Beautiful work! Made me smile. Wish I had that talent!

12. Richard Landis permalink
    June 6, 2013 9:42 am

Absolutely love your drawings. I’m off to Positano this Autumn, with an Aerodyne and a Co-Pilot.

13. Wendy K permalink
    June 6, 2013 10:38 am

What a wonderful way to preserve your vacation memories! You’re so talented. Also found you by way of the Tom Bihn site.

14. Katherine permalink
    June 8, 2013 2:56 pm

Bellissimo Danny! Looks like you had a great trip. Brought back great memories of my trip with the same wonderful tour guide, Maureen! You really captured Sergio & love the drawings of San Calisto & Testaccio. I now want to go to Ischia!

15. Lisa permalink
    December 31, 2013 11:47 am

I love these Dan. They’re beautiful, whimsical, so detailed, and the colors are just amazing. They make me want to get on a plane right now to go see all of these amazing sites!

Trackbacks

1. Dan Bransfield: Sketches from Italy - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington