Skip to content

Sketches from Nambodea

November 7, 2011

A scrapbook of sketches and miscellaneous memorabilia from Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Saigon, Siem Reap—and a little Seoul, too.

Good food on Asiana Airlines!

Stopover • Incheon, Korea

Friendly staff and great breakfasts.

Vietnamese folk tales reenacted with puppets on water,
traditional Vietnamese orchestra provides background music.

Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi—from Cafe Pho Co.

My favorite meal in Hanoi! Now on to Halong Bay…

I spent two nights in this cozy little cabin.

Good food, good kayaking, too.

Hue, Vietnam

Hue, Vietnam—I discover I’ve lost my credit card. I imagine I left it back on the Dragon Pearl.
I find it two days later in my carry-on bag.

It looked like a cafe. A great example of Vietnamese hospitality.

This was the place I was looking for. Bun thit nu’ong was a little too spicy for me.

Torrential downpour. Refuge under a tented stall with some pho. Hoi An tomorrow.

Hoi An, Vietnam— I’ve got my sights set on a banh mi.
(I will have three in as many days.)

Once again, a really nice hotel with a helpful staff.

Q-Bar, Hoi An

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
Next stop: Saigon.
Wasn’t enough space for that guy.
Saigon, Vietnam—A lot hotter down here in the south.
A great museum.
Had a really nice lunch here.
Day trip to the Mekong Delta. Now on to Cambodia…
Siem Reap, Cambodia—Angkor Wat
Angkor Thom, Bayond Temple
The pilgrims of Angkor Wat.
Ta Prum
Beng Mealia—My favorite temple.
Siem Reap, Cambodia—Frangipani Hotel
Wonderful hotel!
Loved the coconut shakes!

The trip is almost over. Now the long journey home.
But first a nine hour layover in Korea.
Seoul, Korea—It was nice to get out of the airport for a few hours. Ok…one last flight now!
What a great trip!
I packed very lightly for this trip—carry on only. I would wash my clothes in the hotel sink and
they would dry in a couple hours.
I brought more Tom Bihn bags with me than underwear. The Tri-Star, Smart Alec, the Field Journal
and Cafe bag all were put to good use.
19 Comments leave one →
  1. AgentAnnie7 permalink
    November 7, 2011 3:08 pm

Simply brilliant!

2. November 8, 2011 12:29 pm

Dan glad you found your credit card and happy to have had a glimpse into your trip- I’ll be following in your footsteps by taking a trip to Cambodia and Vietnam very soon! Hope to try some of your recommendations… and if I have any trouble I might just try draw a sketch like you did in Vietnam ;)

• November 8, 2011 1:39 pm

Ha! You’re going, too? Very cool! You’re gonna have a great time! Tell the old lady in Hue i said hi :-)

(that banh mi place in Hoi An is the real deal)

3. November 14, 2011 8:54 pm

We love it. Already shared on our page before asking for permission kkk ;)
    (from Dragons’ Pearl I :p)

• November 15, 2011 10:16 am

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

4. Gail permalink
    November 18, 2011 12:27 pm

Thankyou for sharing your experience through sketches, these have made me smile with delight. Going on my 1st trip to Asia in a few months, HK, KL & 15 days in Vietnam. Looking forward to it now with more anticipation than trepidation as you have voiced more positives to me than ALL the other sites that have ‘done my head in’
    x :)

• November 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks, Gail! I’m sure you’re going to have an amazing time!

5. November 24, 2011 11:24 pm

wonderful – da Lamberto ( cugino Marco Gargiulo ed amico di Maureen )

6. Mike Fiedler permalink
    December 1, 2011 3:13 pm

Hey Danny,
    Jerry sent this on to me and I’m really glad he did. What talent! The whole trip sounds awesome except that part of it being hot in Saigon! I’m sweating just thinking about it! Jungle heat, no thanks! Angkor Wat must have been incredible. Can’t wait to see you and hear the stories!

7. Carolyn permalink
    February 9, 2012 6:45 am

I loved looking through you sketches of Vietnam and Cambodia. It makes me very anxious for our trip to Vietnam with the Sierra Club at the end of Feb. We are also taking a side trip to Siem Reap.

• February 9, 2012 10:54 am

Hi Carolyn!

I’m glad you enjoyed them! You will have an amazing time there.

8. May 14, 2012 4:17 am

next to HD pictures are your sketches.. its wonderful and fun to look at. continue sharing ;)

9. gladys permalink
    September 8, 2012 5:44 pm

what a wonderful and creative adventure. learned so much from your journey. leaving for cambodia, vietnam and laos next month and hope to have your vision and admiration for the trip. thank you for the visit. gw

• September 12, 2012 11:34 am

Gladys!

Thank you so much. I hope you have a great trip. I hear Laos is pretty amazing and a melo place. Enjoy the delicious food and and watch out for the motobikes! :-)

• gladys permalink
        September 12, 2012 1:44 pm

thanks also for your wardrobe info. ordered 5 pieces from ex-offico and hopefully hewon’t get a bite and be the hippest guy on tour. (ps. he is an ex-=officio patron) bytw do you work for the company?

• September 13, 2012 9:46 am

No, I just am a fan of their stuff! :-)

10. September 12, 2012 11:25 am

Hi Dan: I will be following in your footsteps in November. Your work is simply delightful. would eagerly buy the book version. any plans????

• September 12, 2012 11:36 am

Thank you, Sallie!

You’re going to have a great trip! I might put a travel book together one of these days if I get around to it. Have a coconut shake for me in Cambodia! :-)

11. September 15, 2013 8:50 am